PROPER DISPOSAL OF PERSCRIPTION DRUGS
Office of National Drug Control Policy, October 2009
- DO NOT FLUSH prescription drugs down the toilet or drain unless the label accompanying patient information specifically instructs you to do so. For information on specific drugs that should be flushed visit www.fda.gov.
- If a drug take-back or collection program is not available:
- Take your prescription drugs out of their original containers.
- Mix drugs with undesirable substance, such as cat litter or used coffee grounds.
- Put mixture into a disposable container with a lid, such as an empty butter tub, or into a sealable bag.
- Conceal or remove any personal information, including RX number, on the empty containers by covering it with a black marker or scratching it off.
- Place the sealed container with the mixture, and the empty drug containers, IN THE TRASH.